The internship component of the teacher education program is required by the South Carolina State Department of Education and is designed to serve as the culminating experience in a candidate’s preparation for a career in education. Candidates will be placed in school districts that have a cooperative agreement with USC Aiken, and will be assigned to work with teachers who have met the criteria outlined in those agreements.
ALL COMPONENTS OF THE INTERNSHIP APPLICATION PROCESS MUST BE FULLY COMPLETED ONE YEAR PRIOR TO A STUDENT'S PLANNED INTERNSHIP.
Candidates applying for admission to the teaching internship must meet the following criteria:
1. The candidate must be fully admitted to the Professional Program at least one full semester prior to the internship semester.
2. The candidate must have successfully (grades of C or better) completed all education courses (preprofessional and professional) and all subject area course requirements.
3. The candidate must have no more than 12 hours of coursework (general education/electives) remaining to meet graduation requirements following completion of the internship semester.
4. The candidate must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA in all coursework, and at least a "C" or better in education courses and subject area requirements prior to graduation.
5. For elementary, early childhood, and special education majors, candidates must have a grade of C or better in ENGL 101,102 , Math 108 and STAT 201 (or course equivalents).
6. Candidates must have successfully passed the Writing Profiency Portfolio (or passed ENGL A201).
7. Candidates must have successfully passed all Writing Intensive courses for the University prior to the internship.
8. Candidates must have successfully completed all required ICE Credits prior to internship.
9. If the candidate intends to graduate after completing internship, they must have applied for graduation (view application window here)
Follow the link for "Internship Application Process" on the left-hand side to complete the step-by-step process required.