please go to http://hr.sc.edu/forms.html to make sure you have the most current forms.
PROCEDURES AND GUIDELINES
FOR HIRING TEMPORARY STAFF, TEMPORARY FACULTY,
DUAL EMPLOYMENT AND EXTRA COMPENSATION
Below is a NEW HIRE CHECK LIST - It lists the documents that are required for each hire:
Human Resources/Payroll documents should be printed from http://hr.sc.edu/forms.html .
Forms needed to hire:
- FORM 12 (Request for Position)
- APPLICATION FOR TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT (for Staff) OR ACADEMIC PERSONAL INFORMATION (API for Faculty)
- OFFER OF TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT
- SOUTH CAROLINA RETIREMENT FORMS (Form 1104 - NON-ELECTION FORM OR Form 1100 - ENROLLMENT FORM
- I-9 EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION FORM
- BACKGROUND CHECK REQUEST (Department completes)
- BACKGROUND AUTHORIZATION (Employee completes)
- AFFORDABLE CARE ACT MEMORANDUM (for new employees)
- AFFORDABLE CARE ACT ACKNOWLEDGE FORM (employee must sign)
- W-4 EMPLOYEE’S WITHHOLDING ALLOWANCE CERTIFICATE (TAX)
- ELECTRONIC DEPOSIT FORM
HIRING (Temporary Staff & Faculty)
- Applicants for temporary employment will complete an Application for Temporary Employment for a classified (staff) position or Academic Personal Information (API) if hired for unclassified (faculty) position.
- For Temporary Staff: If an offer is made, the hiring department will issue an Offer of Temporary Employment. This form provides the title of the position, dates of appointment, rate of pay, and other conditions of employment. The Offer of Temporary Employment Letter requires the signature of the hiring official. The signature of the employee signifies that he/she accepts the appointment and the conditions of employment. There cannot be any corrections made on this form.
- For Temporary Faculty: Department should follow the internal procedures of the college. An Offer Letter/Contract is required.
- Temporary employees (staff or faculty) must be given the option of participating in the South Carolina Retirement System (SCRS) or the State Optional Retirement Program (ORP). Temporary employees not electing to participate in the SCRS or ORP must sign a Non-Election Form (#1104). This form is a part of the hiring packet and is required with each appointment. Temporary employees desiring to participate in the SCRS or ORP must complete the Enrollment (#1100) form to join a retirement program. For those employees who have SCRS accounts or ORP accounts, they are required to submit the enrollment (#1100) with each appointment.
- I-9 Form must be completed for all new employees and submitted through the E-Verify System. The I-9 Form is used to show that an employee is authorized to work in the United States by examining identity and authorization documents. The employee must show the appropriate documents at the time the I-9 is completed by the employer. It is the employee’s choice as to what to provide from the list on the back of the I-9. The I-9 form MUST BE FILLED OUT ON THE DATE OF HIRE OR BEFORE EMPLOYMENT BEGINS. Also, the I-9 must be submitted through the E-Verify System. If the employee is a foreign national, contact should be made with the Office of International Support for Faculty and Staff (See Human Resources Office). The employee must not work until the I-9 is completed and submitted through E-Verify.
- W-4 Employee Withholding (taxes) allows the employer to withhold the correct amount of income tax for payment. Federal and State laws prohibit delaying payment pending receipt of this form. (In case a W-4 is not on file when the payment is processed, taxes will be calculated as if the employee is single and claming zero exemptions.) Changes may be submitted on line through VIP.
- BACKGROUND CHECKS are required on all hires. This includes Temporary Staff, Temporary Faculty (TFAC), Adjuncts and Affiliates. Please see Policy http://www.sc.edu/policies/hr190.pdf. The hiring department will complete the Background Request Form and the New Employee will complete the Background Authorization. Both Forms are submitted to Aiken Human Resources with a copy of their application.
- AFFORDABLE CARE ACT MARKETPLACE MEMORANDUM must be given to each new hire and they must complete ACA Acknowledgement Form for each appointment.
- ELECTRONIC DEPOSIT (Authorization Agreement) It is mandatory to enroll in payroll direct deposit. Employees must complete the Authorization Agreement. Once employees are activated on IMS they may access this form through VIP with their 4 digit pin number to make any changes.
- Temporary Staff Employees may work for a maximum continuous period of 12 months in the same department in the same position. Therefore, they will not be eligible for re-employment in the same position for 15 calendar days following the last day of appointment.
- A Form-12 and the Rehire/Extension Document PBP-2tr is required for any individual that is being re-employed. I-9 forms are good for 3 years if the employee has not had more than a one (1) year break in service.
- A Rehire/Extension Document (PBP-2 tr may be found at http://hr.sc.edu/forms/pbp2-tr.pdf To extend an appointment or to re-hire a temporary position a PBP-2tr may be used. Extension or a rehire of the original appointment for an additional time period not to exceed a total of 12 months of continuous employment. (For example, original appointment was for three months; if you need that person to continue, a reappointment can be generated for up to nine more months).
CHANGE IN A TEMPORARY STAFF APPOINTMENT
- Submit a memo or E-mail to Human Resources stating change and effective date. If the change is an hourly rate or salary increase, a justification should be included. All hourly position dates should end on Saturday and begin on Sunday.
TERMINATING AN APPOINTMENT
- Inform the Human Resources Office of termination date immediately. A PBP-7 (Notice of Separation Form) will be completed. This will stop one from getting paid and delete them off the USC system. It is very important that terminations are sent in a timely manner for salaried positions to ensure employee is not overpaid.
- FORM 12 (Request for Position) for extra duties other than teaching or must be listed on the Faculty Appointment Summary for Faculty teaching during academic year.
- DUAL EMPLOYMENT REQUEST
- HIRING DOCUMENT FOR NON-FTE/NON-STUDENT POSITIONS (PBP-2)
INTERNAL DUAL EMPLOYMENT
(USC Employee Performing Dual Employment within USC)
- FORM 12
- DUAL EMPLOYMENT REQUEST
- HIRING DOCUMENT FOR NON-FTE/NON-STUDENT POSITIONS (PBP-2)
EXTERNAL DUAL EMPLOYMENT
(An employee from another state agency performing dual employment for USC)
- FORM 12 MUST BE COMPLETED WITH ALL REQUIRED SIGNATURES BEFORE EMPLOYEE STARTS WORK
The “Home Agency Information and Approvals” section of the Dual Request Form (link is posted below) is to be completed by the Primary Employer. The new hire should be able to give you a contact in their HR department to fax this request to. You are to complete the “To Be Completed by Secondary (Requesting Department)” section.
DEPARTMENTS WHO HAVE ACCESS TO E-VERIFY WILL PROCESS THE I-9 BEFORE EMPLOYEE STARTS WORK. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ACCESS, CONTACT LAURA FOREMAN AT 803-641-3317.
MAYMESTER AND SUMMER SCHOOL FACULTY
Things to remember when preparing Summer Payroll:
Total compensation for summer employment may not exceed thirty-three and one-third percent (33 1/3%) of the faculty member’s base salary for the preceding academic year.
When contracts are issued, be sure to remind your faculty that we are now on a mandatory electronic deposit system.
I-9 and E-Verify should be up-dated if the employee has had a 1 year or more break in service.
On new hires the Background Check Request and Background Authorization is required.
On the accounting information for Summer School all departments should use 17110 A010 (Maymester 51332) (51330 for Summer I & II for teaching and 51331 class code for administrative duties). This does not apply if the employee is being paid on a grant.
Be sure to use the PBP-2S (for Summer salary) for Full-Time Faculty in slotted positions and temporary faculty who have worked the previous Spring Semester. Temporary Faculty who did not work the previous spring are submitted on the PBP-2.
- Faculty Appointment Sheet - Must be completed each semester for all faculty teaching or earning Administrative Duties for Maymester, Summer I and Summer II. Information should include Name, Social Security Number, Dates of service, Accounting Information (Dept., Fund, and Class), Salary, Course/Section, Day/Time Class Meets, New/Dual Employee.
- For any faculty other than 9 month faculty, Dual Employment must be submitted on a PBP-2. (Dual Employment cannot cross fiscal year).
FACULTY SUMMER EXTRA COMPENSATION (ECOM)
- Compensation earned outside base period and not paid from summer money. For example, Summer Research or other duties not associated with summer school classes.
- Form-12 and PBP-2S is required.
- For compensation from Grants, the Principle Investigator (PI) of the grant must sign the PBP-2S’s.