About the SNA
The School of Nursing faculty strongly encourages each student to join USCA SNA and the National Student Nurses' Association (NSNA), which includes membership in the Student Nurses' Association of South Carolina (SNA-SC). The USCA SNA chapter is the pre-professional student organization to the American Nurses' Association (ANA). USCA SNA provides participation in health related activities on campus and in the community. NSNA members have the opportunity to expand their professional horizons, develop patterns of professional behavior, qualify for scholarships, and develop strong relationships with nursing students across the country. USCA SNA meetings are held monthly. Information about meetings will be posted on the SNA Bulletin Board and the monitor in the nursing building lobby.
STUDENT NURSES’ ASSOCIATION (SNA)
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AIKEN (USCA)
ARTICLE I: Name
1.1 The name of this organization shall be the University of South Carolina Aiken Student Nurses’ Association (USCA-SNA), a constituent of the Student Nurses’ Association of South Carolina, Inc., chapter of Omicron Theta Alpha (OTA) (Together, Healing, Humanity).
ARTICLE II: Purposes and Functions
2.1 Purposes of the (USCA-SNA) shall be:
- To assume responsibility for contributing to nursing education in order to provide for the highest quality health care.
- To provide programs representative of fundamental and current professional interests and concerns.
- To aid in the development of the whole person, his/her professional role and responsibility for the health care of people in all walks of life.
- To provide a closer bond and promote better communication between students and faculty; among nursing students; between students, the community, and related health organizations.
- To aid in the development of the student by fostering good citizenship, and by providing opportunities for professional and nonprofessional guest speakers to discuss topics relating to nursing and civic affairs.
2.2 Functions of the (USCA-SNA) shall be:
- To have direct input into standards of nursing education and influence the educational process.
- To influence health care, nursing education and practice through legislative activities as appropriate.
- To promote and encourage participation in community events related to health care.
- To represent nursing students to the consumer, to institutions, and to other organizations.
- To promote and encourage students’ participation in interdisciplinary activities pertaining to USCA.
- To promote and encourage recruitment efforts, participation in student activities, and educational opportunities regardless of person’s race, color, creed, sex, lifestyle, national origin, age, or economic statue.
- To promote and encourage collaborative relationships with nursing and related health organizations.
ARTICLE III: Members
3.1 Categories of Constituent Membership
3.1-1 For initial recognition as a National Student Nurses’ Association (NSNA), constituent associations shall be required to submit their bylaws, which shall include the following areas of conformity for active and associate members: purpose and function, membership, dues and representation. Subsequently, constituents shall be required to reaffirm the areas of conformity annually.
3.1-2 Active members:
- Students enrolled in state approved programs leading to licensure as a registered nurse.
- Registered nurses enrolled in undergraduate programs leading to a baccalaureate degree with a major in nursing.
- Active members shall have all the privileges of membership.
3.1-3 Associate members:
- Pre-nursing students, including registered nurses, enrolled in college or university programs designed as preparation for entrance into an undergraduate program leading to an associate degree, diploma, or baccalaureate degree in nursing.
- Associate members shall have all the privileges of membership except the right to hold office.
3.2-1 The dues year shall be a period of 12 consecutive months:
- Board members must be members of NSNA and pay dues to NSNA accordingly.
- Active Members shall pay USCA-SNA dues of $2 per semester.
- Associate Members do not pay dues until their acceptance into the nursing program and become Active Members.
3.2-2 Any member who fails to pay current dues shall forfeit all privileges of membership.
ARTICLE IV: Board of Officers and Directors
4.1 Officers and Directors
4.1-1 The USCA-SNA Board of Officers shall consist of five (5) members: President, Vice President, President-Elect, Secretary, and Treasurer.
4.1-2 There shall be five (5) Directors: Legislative Director, Fundraising Director, Community Health Director, Breakthrough to Nursing Director, and Media Director.
4.1-3 Each class level of the Generic BSN Track shall be represented by two (2) representatives selected by the appropriate class.
4.1-4 The Executive Board shall consist of the elected officers, directors and class representatives including Ex-officio members: Faculty Advisor(s). All members of the Executive Board have the power to vote. The advisors shall serve as ex-officio members without a vote.
4.2-1 Only members who shall be nursing students throughout the full term of office may serve on the Board of Officers and Directors. Exceptions to this must be voted on by Executive Board.
4.2-2 Only members who maintain active membership in NSNA may serve on the Board of Officers and Directors, excluding the class representatives.
4.3 Term of Office
4.3-1 The term of office shall be one year from the adjournment of the annual election meeting at which officers are elected to the adjournment of the annual meeting at which their successors are elected.
4.4 Duties of the Officers and Directors
4.4-1 The President shall:
- Preside at all regular and called meetings of the organization and all board meetings.
- Appoint any special Ad Hoc committees necessary, subject to the approval of the Board of Officers.
- Appoint a chairperson of all Ad Hoc committees with the approval of the Executive Board.
- Serve as ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee.
- Represent USCA-SNA in matters relating to the association and perform all other duties pertaining to the office.
- Serve as USCA-SNA representative to the SNA-SC Council of School Representatives.
- Shall have the ability to delegate any tasks to other Executive Board members as they see fit.
4.4-2 The Vice President shall:
- Assume the duties of the president in their absence, disability or vacancy.
- Act in any advisory capacity to all committees.
- Be responsible for program of meetings of the association.
- Serve as co-chair for State Convention Committee.
- Perform all duties as assigned by the President.
4.4-3 The President-Elect shall:
- Be familiar with the affairs of USCA-SNA.
- Perform duties as designated by the President.
- Accompany the President in attending functions pertaining to SNA-SC and other affiliated associations.
- Use the above duties to prepare and automatically and consecutively assume the position of the President upon completion of term.
4.4-4 The Secretary shall:
- Record and distribute the minutes of all business meetings of the association and Executive Board.
- Inform SNA-SC of all current programs and activities on a monthly basis.
- Keep on file as permanent record all reports, papers, and documents submitted to the Secretary.
- Perform all other duties assigned by the President or as usual to this office.
- Provide a list of all officers’ contact information to each board member and to the SNA-SC Secretary.
- Keep a register of all members for roll call and business purposes.
- Conduct the general correspondence of the association and notify committees of their appointments as requested by the President or the Executive Board.
- Refer to the duly appointed committees the necessary records for performance of their duties.
- Sign with the President such organizational papers as they come into their executive and administrative spheres.
4.4-5 The Treasurer shall:
- Act as a custodian of organizational funds.
- Keep accurate entries of acquisitions and disbursements of organization funds.
- Prepare a report of the transactions of the Treasurer’s office to be submitted at each board meeting.
- Keep a permanent record of all dues paid together with a registrar of all members in good standing as submitted at the annual convention.
- Submit a financial report to the Executive Board at regular intervals and when requested to do so by any member of the Executive Board.
- Communicate monthly with the faculty advisors. All USCA-SC financial records are to be reviewed at the expiration of the Treasurer’s term with a written statement from the advisor of the review. This review shall be submitted to the President.
4.4-6 The Legislative Director shall:
- Promote political awareness among nursing students and plan legislative activities on a campus level.
- Serve as the USCA-SNA liaison to the SNA-SC legislative committee.
- Serve as chairperson of the Legislative Committee.
- Serve as chairperson of the Bylaws Committee.
4.4-7 The Fundraising Director shall:
- Serve as chairperson of the Fundraising Committee.
- Keep complete records of all income and expenditures from fundraising projects.
- Submit to the Treasurer all funds raised within one week after each event.
4.4-8 The Community Health Director shall:
- Serve as chairperson of Community Health Committee.
- Promote, plan, carry out and evaluate at least one community health activity in the surrounding community.
- Keep records with signatures of those members participating in community activities.
- Submit copies of all activity records to the SNA-SC Director of Community Health at the end of each calendar year.
- Submit copies of the activity records to USCA Student Life & Services office by Spring Break of each year (usually in March).
4.4-9 The Breakthrough to Nursing Director shall:
- Serve as chairperson of the Breakthrough to Nursing Committee.
- Encourage recruitment of minority groups into nursing.
- Encourage recruitment and retention of membership in NSNA and USCA-SNA including sustaining members.
4.4-10 The Media Director shall:
- Serve as a co-chair to State Convention Committee.
- Manage, update and maintain the SNA link on the USCA School of Nursing website.
- Manage, update, and maintain USCA-SC Facebook page and other social media
- Maintain and update the SNA Bulletin Board in the SON Food Court with up-to-date information and announcements.
- Publicize events of USCA-SNA when requested by the officers or ad hoc committee chairs.
- Submit to the Treasurer receipts for any materials and printing for publicity/newspaper for reimbursement
4.4-11 The Class Representatives shall:
- Report to their respective class about planned events and projects discussed at USCA-SNA meetings.
- Act as a liaison between respective classes and the Board of Officers.
- Attend Executive Board meetings and monthly USCA-SNA chapter meetings.
4.4-12 Additional general duties of Executive Board shall:
- Submit regularly to the Treasurer a report of their expenses with receipts.
- Deliver to their successors all records, papers or other property belonging to the association.
- Approve expenditures of money relating to the organizational operations.
- Approve activities of the committees.
- Fill vacancies in any office except the office of President or President-Elect for the unexpired term.
- Approve the President’s appointments of Ad Hoc committees and chairmen
- Be allowed only one absence from an Executive Board Meeting, and only one absence from a USCA-SNA event. The majority of the Executive Board will review any additional absence for approval.
Article V: Meetings of the Board of Officers and Directors
5.1 The Board of Officers and Directors shall meet at the regular monthly USCA-SNA meetings and at any special time when called by the President of the organization.
5.2 Special meetings may be called by the president of USCA-SNA at any time or shall be called at the request of one-fourth members in good standing. No special meeting shall be held until notice thereof has been announced at least five (5) working days before the date of such meeting. The notice of the meeting shall state the purpose for the special meeting.
ARTICLE VI: Nominations and Elections
- Notifications of elections must be made one week prior to date of elections.
- The officers shall be elected by active USCA-SNA members present during the voting period.
- The elections shall be taken by secret ballot. A plurality vote shall elect. In case of a tie, a revote shall be taken.
- A majority of the respective class shall elect class representatives.
6.2 Consent to Serve
- Upon accepting a nomination, nominees must read the bylaws and sign a Consent to Serve form.
- In the event that the President is unable to serve the elected full term, the Vice President will complete the elected term as President. The Board of Officers have the option of filling the Vice President position by either (1) calling a general election by the membership of the organization, or (2) appointing a member for the remainder of the elected term.
- If a member of the Executive board fails to fulfill his or her responsibilities as defined in the Bylaws and the policies of USCA-SNA, the Executive Board shall have the option of removing that Board member from office. The action will require a three-fourths vote of the Executive Board. An appeal to this decision must be submitted in writing to USCA-SNA within two (2) weeks. The appeals case will be considered by the Executive board via telephone, internet or Board meeting within two (2) weeks of receipt of appeal. The appealing officer shall be reinstated by a three-fourths vote of the Executive Board.
- If a board member exceeds more than one absence for an Executive Board Meeting/Council of School Representatives and/or absence from an USCA-SNA Event, the board member will be subject to suspension and potential removal from the board in the manner discussed above.
ARTICLE VII: Order of Business
7.1 The following shall be the order of business unless the presiding officer deems it necessary to rearrange the sequence of points in the agenda:
- Call to order
- Reading and correction or approval of minutes of preceding meetings
- Report of officers
- Report of standing committees
- Report of special committees
- Unfinished business
- New business
ARTICLE VIII: Standing Committees
8.1 Standing committees shall be composed of members of USCA-SNA and assume such duties as assigned by the President and specified in these bylaws. A quorum for committee meetings shall be a majority of the members present.
8.2 The committee chairperson shall report to the Board of Officers at each Board of Officers meeting and shall submit a written report of their activities when requested by the Board of Officers. They shall also report at each regular meeting.
8.3 The Standing Committees shall be:
- Legislative Committee
- Bylaws Committee
- Fundraising Committee
- Breakthrough to Nursing (BTN) Committee
- Community Health Committee
- State Convention Committee
ARTICLE IX: Faculty Advisor(s)
9.1 The advisor(s) shall be appointed from the School of Nursing faculty by the Dean of the School of Nursing.
9.2 The advisor(s) shall act in an advisory capacity to the President, the Executive Board, and USCA-SNA.
ARTICLE X: Parliamentary Authority
10.1 All meetings of this association shall be conducted according to parliamentary law as set forth in Robert’s Rules of order – Newly Revised where the rules apply and are not in conflict with these bylaws.
ARTICLE XI: Amendments
11.1 Amendments and additions may be made to the constitution by a two-thirds vote of membership present, providing there is a quorum.
11.2 Proposed amendments may be submitted in writing to the Bylaws Committee by any member of USCA-SNA or by the Board of Officers & Directors
11.3 To ensure changes are within the guidelines of the University, all submissions shall be submitted to faculty advisors before distribution and voting.
11.4 Notification of proposed bylaw changes must be presented to the members of USCA-SNA one (1) month prior to voting.
11.5 Amendments become effective immediately upon adoption by the USCA-SNA membership, present and voting.
11.6 Upon approval of any bylaw changes, an updated copy of the bylaws shall be sent to SNA-SC.
Bylaws approved: Fall, 2016
Reviewed and updated: Fall, 2016