Academic Credit Awards & Transfers

The University of South Carolina Aiken awards credit for:

  • AP (Advanced Placement courses - offered through the College Board)
  • IB Program (International Baccalaureate)
  • CLEP (College Level Examination Program - offered through the College Board)
  • Institutional Challenge Exams
  • Credit for Educational Experiences in the Military.

For additional information about any of these programs, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, University of South Carolina Aiken, Aiken SC,29801.

Additionally, Transfer students can be given credit for their previous college work.

Advanced Placement

The University of South Carolina Aiken supports the College Board’s Advanced Placement Program, which allows high school students the opportunity to pursue college-level courses in their own schools and to be taught the material by their own teachers. After completion of the AP courses, students take the appropriate AP test to determine their level of achievement.

See criteria for accepted Advanced Placement (AP) credit

IB (International Baccalaureate) Credit

The University of South Carolina Aiken recognizes the academic challenge inherent in the IB Program and encourages students who have completed the IB diploma to apply.  IB graduates who score well (4-7) on their Higher Level exams will be awarded college credit as determined by the academic departments. No credit is awarded for subjects passed at the Subsidiary level of IB, nor for scores below 4 on the higher level exams.

See criteria for accepted International Baccalaureate (IB) credit

CLEP Credit

The University awards credit by examination for CLEP SUBJECT exams only. By attaining an acceptable score, a student may receive credit equal to that normally earned in the comparable University course.

See criteria for accepted CLEP credit

Institutional Challenge Exams

In some disciplines students may receive credit for a course by requesting and earning a B or better on a challenge exam.  Departments and Schools determine which of their courses may be challenged and the number of challenge exams that may be applied to major course requirements.  Department chairs/school heads should be consulted concerning individual unit guidelines.

Educational Experiences in the Military

USC Aiken recognizes the educational experiences and training that members of the armed forces receive during their time of enlistment.  Academic credit may be awarded for educational experiences in the military if they are in accordance with recommendations published by the American Council on Education (ACE) and are consistent with University policy on transfer of credit.  Credit will be applied to a degree program upon the approval of the Department Chair or School Head from which the degree is to be awarded.

Transferable Credit from Other Colleges

In general, transfer credit is awarded when:

  • earned at a school accredited by a regional accrediting association;
  • a grade of C or higher is earned;
  • course content is similar to the corresponding course at USC Aiken
  • the course completes requirements in the general education or elective areas.

Search for transferable courses by technical college or university