The WORC Leaders Program is a leadership program aimed at producing excellent STEM graduates that are also accomplished and experienced leaders. This is a unique component of the WORC Scholars Program.
Exceptional students in engineering, computer science, chemistry, and biology will be selected as freshman by a competitive process. Each recipient will receive a scholarship in their freshman year that is renewable each year in college (based on GPA and continuation in major).
WORC Leaders will:
- Serve as emcees at WORC sponsored oral sessions of Scholar Showcase
- Attend and promote STEM at the STEM Career Connections Fair
- Attend and promote Focused Friday - STEM
- Attend and promote our college “Science on Tap” and “STEM in the Alley” events per year. Both are scientific outreach events that are hosted in downtown Aiken to celebrate science and student research. These events involve a student poster session and two research presentations by UofSC Aiken faculty (or SRNL staff scientists for the “Science on Tap” events). These events provide food and fellowship for participants. These events build relationships that lead to collaborations.
- “WORC Leaders” will complete UofSC Aiken’s Leadership Certificate – this certificate involves leadership coursework and has service-learning components.
- “WORC Leaders” will be assigned a SRNL University Affiliate as their key mentor (part of existing MOU with SRNL).
- We currently have University Affiliates in Engineering, Materials Science/Geology, and Chemistry.