Notice to Instructors using Online Proctoring Services Respondus Monitor or ProctorU
The University of South Carolina Aiken now offers two options for proctoring services to improve efforts in student authentication while retaining the same levels of academic integrity of examinations that take place in our classrooms. USC Aiken will continue to utilize the Respondus Lockdown Browser and Respondus Monitor tools built within Blackboard. USC Aiken also has access to the ProctorU proctoring services. ProctorU does have a pricing structure associated with the service and that information will be required in your syllabi and online courses to prepare students for these additional costs. The use of Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor will continue to be free to use for all Blackboard courses.
Use Of Respondus Lockdown Browser And Monitor
Courses that utilize the use of video recording during exams with Respondus Monitor will now be free for students to use for unlimited exams in all courses for 2020-2021 academic year. Students must acquire a webcam and laptop for courses that use Respondus Monitor for examinations.
Is Respondus LockDown Browser Software required?
Yes. Respondus Monitor is a "companion product" for Respondus LockDown Browser and cannot be used without the LockDown Browser. Students must download the Respondus Lockdown Browser to access associated exams.
How do Students Download the Respondus LockDown Browser Software?
SYLLABUS VERBIAGE: Please utilize the information below to add to your syllabus or course information.
In order to use Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, you will need a high-speed internet connection, a webcam (internal or external), a windows or apple Operating System, and a photo ID. You will be required to download the Respondus Lockdown Browser to access and take associated exams. The webcam can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the webcam feature. A student Quick Start Guide is also available.
What do Students Need to Know Before Taking an Exam with Respondus?
When taking an online exam that requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, remember the following guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted.
- Turn off all other devices (e.g. tablets, phones, second computers) and place them outside of your reach.
- Clear your desk of all external materials not permitted — books, papers, other devices.
- Before starting the text, know how much time is available for it, and that you’ve allotted sufficient time to complete it.
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test.
- If the computer or networking environment is different than what was used previously with the Webcam Check and System & Network Check in LockDown Browser, run the checks again prior to starting the test.
- To produce a good webcam video, do the following;
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims.
- Ensure your computer or tablet is on a firm surface (a desk or table). Do NOT have the computer on your lap, a bed or other surface where the device (or you) are likely to move.
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid tilting the screen after the webcam setup is complete.
- Take the exam in a well-lit room and avoid backlighting, such as sitting with your back to a window.
- Remember that LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.
To ensure LockDown Browser and the webcam are set up properly, do the following:
- Open the Respondus LockDown Browser icon on your desktop, log into Blackboard, and select your course.
- Locate and select the Help Center button on the LockDown Browser toolbar.
- Run the Webcam Check and, if necessary, resolve any issues.
- Run the System & Network Check. If a problem is indicated, see if a solution is provided in the Knowledge Base. Troubleshooting information can also be emailed to our institution's help desk.
- Exit the Help Center and locate the exam.
- Upon completing and submitting the exam, exit LockDown Browser.
Instructor Support for Respondus Monitor
Student Purchase of ProctorU Proctoring
The use of ProctorU proctoring services is only recommended for no more than 2 exams per course (e.g. mid-term and/or final exams) because the cost is per individual exam. The following are the listed options so please choose the most cost-effective for your proctoring needs:
Description: Fully-automated exam proctoring with all activity recorded end-to-end. Videos and incidents are immediately available for USC faculty review. Cost: $3 per exam.
Auto with Review (recommended)
Description: Fully-automated exam proctoring with all activity recorded end-to-end. Exams are reviewed by ProctorU, and a report is sent to instructors within 24 hours if there are academic integrity incidents. Cost: $4 for a 1-hour exam, $6 for 2 hours, $8 for 3 hours, $10 for 4 hours.
Live Launch with Review
Description: Exams are launched by a live proctor for authentication purposes, but the proctor drops once the exam begins. All activity is recorded from start to finish. Exam videos are reviewed by a ProctorU proctor, and a report is sent to instructors within 24 hours if there are any academic integrity incidents. Cost: $8 for a 1-hour exam, $10 for 2 hours, $12 for 3 hours, $14 for 4 hours.
Instructor Support for ProctorU
ProctorU does have the ability to integrate with Pearson, and they have created an informational website about it here. It is only for their automated service line and costs $12 per student per course for unlimited use. This would require an agreement and work order to be signed with the instructor. For more information, please contact UofSC Aiken Office of Distance Learning.
Students will now be charged for proctored exams using ProctorU and instructors are now obligated to provide that information and cost to students. The cost of the service should be identified in required course materials, such as textbooks or publisher subscriptions. Students should be made aware of the additional cost (depending on the service) if a course requires proctored online exams. Please utilize the link for Proctoring Syllabus Verbiage and add the appropriate information to your course syllabus.
Optional ProctorU Syllabus Verbiage
ProctorU is a live online proctoring service that allows you to take your exam from the comfort of your home. ProctorU is available 24/7, however, you will need to schedule your proctoring session at least 72 hours in advance to avoid any on-demand scheduling fees. Creating a ProctorU account is simple. You can do so by visiting go.proctoru.com.
In order to use ProctorU, you will need a high-speed internet connection, a webcam (internal or external), a windows or apple Operating System, and a government issued photo id. ProctorU recommends that you visit test-it-out.proctoru.com/ prior to your proctoring session to test your equipment. We recommend you click on the button that says “connect to a live person” to fully test out your equipment. Please make sure that you are using the current version of your browser and have downloaded the ProctorU extension available at ProctorU Chrome or ProctorU Firefox.
Additionally, please visit and review the test-taker resource center here. You should expect the startup process with the proctor to take about 10-15 minutes. However, this time will not affect your exam time. Please feel free to direct any questions to the student support team via the live chat within your account.