The internship component of the teacher education program is required by the South Carolina State Department of Education and is designed to serve as the culminating experience in a candidate’s preparation for a career in education. Candidates will be placed in school districts that have a cooperative agreement with USC Aiken, and will be assigned to work with teachers who have met the criteria outlined in those agreements.
ALL COMPONENTS OF THE INTERNSHIP APPLICATION PROCESS MUST BE FULLY COMPLETED ONE YEAR PRIOR TO A STUDENT'S PLANNED INTERNSHIP.
Candidates applying for admission to the teaching internship must meet the following criteria:
1. The candidate must be fully admitted to the Professional Program at least one full semester prior to the internship semester.
2. The candidate must have successfully (grades of C or better) completed all education courses (preprofessional and professional) and all subject area course requirements.
3. The candidate must have no more than 12 hours of coursework (general education/electives) remaining to meet graduation requirements following completion of the internship semester.
4. The candidate must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA in all coursework, and at least a "C" or better in education courses and subject area requirements prior to graduation.
5. For elementary, early childhood, and special education majors, candidates must have a grade of C or better in ENGL 101,102 , Math 108 and STAT 201 (or course equivalents).
6. Candidates must have successfully passed the Writing Profiency Portfolio (or passed ENGL A201).
7. Candidates must have successfully passed all Writing Intensive courses for the University prior to the internship.
8. Candidates must have successfully completed all required ICE Credits prior to internship.
9. If the candidate intends to graduate after completing internship, they must have applied for graduation (view application window here)
Internship Application Process
All components of the USC Aiken Internship Application must be fully completed within 2 weeks of advisement, one year prior to a student’s planned internship. The South Carolina Department of Education application process must be completed by the end of the semester that the student is applying for internship.
|Semester of Internship||USC Aiken Application Due Date*||SC Dept of Ed Application and Fingerprint Process|
|Fall 2019||November 15, 2018||End of Fall 2018 Semester|
|Spring 2020||April 15, 2019||End of Spring 2019 Semester|
|Fall 2020||November 15, 2019||End of Fall 2019 Semester|
|Spring 2021||April 15, 2020||End of Spring 2020 Semester|
|Fall 2021||November 15, 2020||End of Fall 2020 Semester|
|*if due date falls on a weekend, application will be due the following business day|
Please read all directions before clicking any links
STEP 1 of 4: COMPLETE THE USC AIKEN SCHOOL OF EDUCATION INTERNSHIP APPLICATION DURING ADVISEMENT ONE YEAR PRIOR TO INTERNSHIP
Fall 2019 Internship Application window is closed
STEP 2 of 4: COMPLETE THE SOUTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION STUDENT TEACHING APPLICATION PROCESS DURING ADVISEMENT ONE YEAR PRIOR TO INTERNSHIP
STEP 3 of 4: PAY THE SOUTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION INTERNSHIP FEE.
The SCDOE processing fee is $105.
STEP 4 of 4: COMPLETE THE ELECTRONIC FINGERPRINTING PROCESS
The Electronic Fingerprinting Processing Fee is approximately $55
Access the Certification Application Technology Services (CATS) Portal through the link below.
If you are a new user, you will need to set up an account. Make note of your username and password to check back frequently for issues until your status is "cleared".
Pursuant to Section 59-25-115 of the SC Code of Laws, all teacher candidates must have a cleared background check on file with the SCDE before they can begin the student teaching semester. Background checks are valid for 18 months.