Through the generosity of the late Virginia Kaplan, the Kaplan Writing Award is presented annually to an undergraduate who exhibits excellence in expository writing. Submission guidelines are available in the H&SS 204 office. Entries should be submitted to Dr. Julie Wise (H&SS, A-9).
- The competition is open to all full-time, currently enrolled students at USC Aiken.
- The previous year's winner is not eligible for the competition in this current year.
- Any piece of expository writing done in the current academic year in response to a regular class assignment may be submitted to the competition.
- The signature of the professor of that class will serve as validation.
- Essays may be revised or expanded by the student before submission.
- They will be evaluated on the basis of depth of thought, clarity of expression, and command of language.
- There is no restriction as to subject.
- The minimum length requirement is five, full, double-spaced, word-processed pages.
- No student may submit more than two (2) essays.
- Essays should be submitted to Dr. Julie Wise (A-9, H&SS) with a cover sheet giving the student's name, level (freshman, etc.), the name and number of the course in which the paper was originally submitted, and the professor's validating signature. The student's name should not appear anywhere else in the paper.