USC Aiken is a member of the American College and University Presidents Climate Control Commitment, which obligates us to do our part for conservation of natural resources such as paper. As students, you'll help with this initiative through our PacerPrint program. This program discourages unnecessary printing of documents, encourages more responsible and effective printing, and increases your printing options, while saving valuable resources and reducing waste.
Most student accessible printers on campus are part of the PacerPrint program. These include all computer lab printers and those in the Library. Some majors and special programs do provide access to non-PacerPrint printers however. If you'll be working on campus as a Student Worker, you'll also have access to non-PacerPrint printers for work related printing.
The instructions below are provided as examples of how to use Print Preview. However, each program you'll print from may be a little different. Please use the screen shots and instructions below as a guide. If you need further assistance with your particular application, please contact the Helpdesk for assistance.
From within Office 2007 programs click the Office Orb in the upper left corner of the screen to begin using Print Preview.
From the menu, select Print. Then select Print Preview.
The Print Preview window will be displayed. Ensure that all pages of your document appear correct.
If the document is ready to print, click Print. If you need to make changes to the document, click Close Print Preview to return to the document and make neccessary changes.
Alternatively, in some programs, such as PowerPoint and Excel, you can also access Print Preview directly from the Print dialog window.
If this option is available, you'll see the Preview button in the lower left corner of the screen.
To correctly print slides for handouts, presentations, and when turning in projects, follow the instructions below. By configuring the printer as shown, your slides will be easier to read and more presentable during presentations. You will also save yourself time and money by drastically cutting down on the number of printed pages needed.
Also, be sure to Preview your print job before actually printing. This ensures that the job you send to the printer is what you actually need and want...again saving you time and money.
If you have any questions about the set-up described here, just see someone at the Helpdesk for assistance.
Printing Slides as Handouts
From the File menu in PowerPoint click Print. The window to the right will be displayed.
Locate the settings which need to be changed at the bottom of the window.
For Print what select Handouts.
Select Grayscale under Color.
Set Slides per page to 6.
Once these settings are correct, click the Preview button at the lower left.
The screen below will now be displayed. This screen gives you a chance to ensure that your print job is correctly set-up before sending it to the printer. If the pages look correct click Print and your job will be sent to the printer. If it does not look correct, click Close and adjust your settings.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE ABOVE PROCEDURE TO AVOID BEING OVER BILLED FOR PRINTING: Be sure to print PowerPoint slides in Handout mode only as explained above. NEVER use the Properties button on the Print screen to adjust the number of slides. Making these changed from the Properties button, instead of as explained above will result in your being charged for each slide as a separate page, even if they all print on a single physical piece of paper.
The following information only applies to the new black and white Xerox Phaser printers located in the B&E 238 Computer Suite and the Library. Most other printers around campus only allow single sided printing.
- Begin by printing your document as usual.
- When the Print dialog shown at right is displayed, click Properties.
- The Print Properties screen will be displayed.
- Click the dropdown arrow for 2-Sided Printing and select 2-Sided Print.
- Click OK and continue printing as usual
The HelpDesk will be more than happy to help with any problems you may encounter. We can be reached at 803-641-3391 from non-campus phones and x4357 (HELP) from campus phones.
This is caused by a compatibility issue with the online format of the file and PacerPrint printers. It is always best to save a document (particularly PDF files) to the desktop (local computer). Then print the document from the saved file instead of directly from the web or Blackboard.
After you get a new ID card, you need to go to the Help Desk and have them change your number in the Pacer Print system to match the new card ID.
If you exceed your printing allotment for a semester, you can increase your printing balance by using your CarolinaCard account under Financial section of the Students tab on my.usca.edu using a credit/debit card. You can also add funds by going to the Business Services Office.
The minimum amount which can be added to your account is $10.00. The free printing allotment is earmarked specifically for printing. However, any funds you directly put on your CarolinaCard account can be rolled over to the next semester and used anywhere CarolinaCard is accepted and/or be refunded upon graduation or withdrawal from USC Aiken.
To add funds online with your debit or credit card:
- Go to: http://my.usca.edu
- Click Manage CarolinaCard account in the Financial Section of the Students tab
- Sign in using your VIP ID and password
- Click CarolinaCard Deposits
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the deposit
You'll also find several other helpful CarolinaCard links on the page.
The Pacer Print system will offer expanded services such as high speed two sided printing and color laser printing that will be available in the B&E Computer Suite and Library. In addition you can now print up to 11"x17" documents in these locations. Printing on two sides of the paper is a simple method of cutting paper usage in half!
No. As a matter of fact, double-sided printing saves on paper and is encouraged.
Two-sided printing (RECOMMENDED)
Black, 8.5" x 11" - $0.10/page
Black, 8.5" x 14" - $0.13/page
Black, 11" x 17" - $0.17/page
Black, 8.5" x 11" - $0.09/page
Black , 8.5" x 14" - $0.12/page
Black, 11" x 17" - $0.15/page
Color, 8.5" x 11" - $0.75/page
Color, 8.5" x 14" - $1.00/page
Students can now print from wireless computers, laptops and other mobile devices using PacerPrint's new RemotePrint option. RemotePrint uses the same account and funds as PacerPrint.
Only the following printers can be used to print your documents using RemotePrint...
Black and White:
- B&E 238 Printer 1 on left
- B&E 238 Printer 2 on right
- Pacer Commons Lab Printer
- Pacer Crossing Lab Printer
- Pacer Downs Lab Printer
- B&E 238 Dell Color
Which email address do I have to use to send print jobs?
You must use your official USCA Student email account to send in jobs.
.doc, .docx, .dot
.xls, .xlt,.xlsx, .xltx, .xltm, .xlsm
.ppt, .pptx, .pptm, .pot, .pps, .potx, .ppsx
.vsd, .vss, .vst, .vdx, .vsx, .vtx, .vdw
.odt, .ods, .ott, .odp
Comma Separated Values
Adobe Portable Document Format
Rich Text Format
.jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, .bmp
Send Document to Print
Receive reply email from RemotePrint
After the email has been submitted, you will receive a return email showing a list of submitted documents from RemotePrint. It also contains brief instructions on how to print your document.
Please note that you will need to use the "Click to open the Print Center website" option. Students are not currently able to release a job directly from the printer.
Print the Documents
To be safe, it's best not to print your jobs until you're you're ready to pick them up.
To print your documents:
- Click the link in the email or go to: http://remoteprint.usca.edu/ You can access the website from a campus computer or any laptop or mobile device connected to the internet.
- Log in using your PacerStudent account.
- You'll see the screen shown below.
- Select the documents you'd like to print by clicking the check box beside each one to be printed.
- The printer your job will print to is listed in the lower left. If no printer is listed here search for the correct printer by typing "print" for black and white printing or "color" for color printing. Be sure to select a printer you have access to. Currently only the printers in the main B&E 238 lab and each of the residence hall labs are available for mobile printing.
- Set any options such as the number of sides to print on the paper, number of slides per page and the number of copies once you have your printer selected.
- Ensure that you have enough funds for the job. You'll see the Total Cost of your job and selected options just above the printer selection. Your current balance is shown on the left side of the screen as "My Funds".
- Print your job by clicking the Print button in the lower right when you have your job setup properly.
You may also preview and delete print jobs from this screen.