There are several ways to add a networked printer to a campus owned computer. The simplest methods are explained below.
Please keep in mind that this is for printers located in office suites, not lab printers. Most printers located in labs, and accessible to students, are part of the PacerPrint system. For more information on PacerPrint, see the Printing topic (under Current Students).
To add a new network printer to your system, click on the Start menu or Windows Orb. Then click Run.
The Run window will be displayed.
Type \\print in the Open field. Click OK.
A window will open showing all available network printers like the one below.
Locate the printer that you wish to use and double-clicking it.
Your printer will be added to your system and you may now begin using the printer.
If you'd also like to set the newly installed network printer to be your default printer, see the instructions below for setting a default printer.
Apple OS X
When using Mac OS X, you must first find the printer's IP Address that you are attempting to print to.
You can do this by going to your printer and using the "menu" button to find "Printer Information". When you see "Printer Information" use the "item" button to scan over to "Printer Configuration". Press the "Select Button". This should print out a sheet with all of your printer information. On that sheet, there is a number labeled "IP Address:".
Open the "Print Center " or "Printer Setup" application in your Utilities folder. Click "Add Printer", select "IP Printing" for the pulldown menu, and type in the IP Address of the printer. Make sure to choose the correct model of the printer you are sending to. The printer should then appear under your printers list when attempting to print any document.
- To set a printer as your default printer, first click on the Start menu.
- Click the Settings gear.
- Click Printer & scanners in the left-side menu.
- Locate the printer you'd like to set as your default.
- Left-click the selected printer.
- Click the Open queue button.
- Click Printer on the menu of the pop-up dialog for the printer's queue.
- Select Set As Default Print from the pop-up menu.
This information is primarily relative to faculty and staff only. Other than student workers, students should not be printing to Xerox printers using accounting codes.
To set your accounting code for a Xerox printer on a Windows machine, please follow the instructions below.
- Click the Windows icon on your taskbar
- Click the gear icon
- Click Devices
- Click Printers & scanners
- Scroll down in the list of printers and scanners on the right side of the Settings window. Click the printer you’d like to setup. Then click Manage.
- Click Printer Properties.
- Click the Configuration tab on the Properties dialog. Scroll down to the Accounting section. Ensure that all setting match those as shown in the screenshot below. Correct settings as needed. Then click the Setup button beside Accounting Codes.
- Enter your account code in the User ID field. Then click OK.
- Click OK to continue through any dialogs. Then close out all Settings windows.
- Test the new settings by printing a document using the Xerox printer you just configured.
If you run into any issues completing these instructions, please contact the Help Desk for assistance.