Spring Semester Check-out Procedures for Residents Not Returning in the Summer
The following instructions are for those residents who are not remaining in University Housing for Maymester or Summer Session I, including those residents who are graduating.
General Move Out Information
- Residents are to move out of their rooms (unless they have applied for and been assigned a space for summer school) 24 hours after their last exam.
- Residents, including graduates, are to be completely moved out of their rooms by 10:00 am on Friday, 7 May 2021.
- All trash and belongings are to be removed from rooms, including from closets, refrigerators, and cupboards.
- Furniture must be returned to its original positions at the time of move out.
- Residents must complete a walk-through with their RM.
Late Stay for Non-Summer School Resident
- If for some reason your flight has been scheduled after May 7, 2021, you may apply for a late stay by completing the Late Stay Request Form.
- Late Stays may be granted for a few days after May 7 due to flight or travel arrangements for moving out.
- Forms must be submitted by Monday, April 26, 2021 for review
Check Out Process
- Attend the hall meeting with your RM, where the check-out process will be discussed; look for emails and flyers from your RM on when and where this will take place.
- Sign-Up for a time with an RM in your area to check out during the week of final exam; your RM will provide more details on where to do this.
- Once you have checked out with the RMs, please complete the Express Check Out Form.
- Complete a Key Return and Check Out envelope at your community office and return it in the drop box; your RM will provide you with the location in your community.
Fines and Damage Fees
- Please know that any damages to the conditions of the room or the furniture may result in damage fees; fees are found in the Community Guide on pages 28-30.
- Failure to check out in the process outline above will result in an improper check out fine of $50.00.
- Both the room and mailbox keys are to be returned at check out; failure to do so may result in a fee of $100.00 for the room key and $5.00 for the mailbox key.
- As stated above, all residents are to move out of their room 24 hour after their last exam or by Friday, May 7 at 10:00 am, whichever comes first (graduates excepted); a late check out fee of $25.00 for each half hour that a resident remains past the check-out time may be applied for failure to check out on time.
Security Deposit Refunds
Security Deposit Refunds are processed by USC Aiken and then forwarded to USC Columbia for checks to be issued. Please make sure you update your mailing address in Self-Service Carolina (SSC) so that your deposit refund check gets mailed to the correct address. This process takes 6-8 weeks.