Soon, you’ll be packing up your stuff and moving to a completely new place. Not only will you be “on your own,” but you’ll also be sharing a relatively small space with other people. Perhaps you’re wondering what to bring. While it may seem tempting to pack up everything you own, DON’T! Space is limited. At the same time, it is important for you to feel comfortable in your new surroundings. Consider the following list a guide for items you may want to bring.
Items to consider packing
- Two sets of bed sheets
- Mattress pad, pillows, blanket, bedspread/comforter
- One of those foam “egg crates” that goes on top of your mattress to make it more comfy
- Personal Hygiene products –if you can, buy 2 of things, especially toilet paper!
- First aid supplies: Band aids, pain relievers, etc.
- Towels and washcloths
- Shower curtain and bathmat
- Clothes hangers
- Laundry detergent, fabric softener, etc.
- Laundry basket and/or bag
- Ironing board/iron
- Sewing kit
- Seasonal clothing, as well as a few items that will get you through an unexpected change in weather
- Athletic clothes, shoes, or equipment
- Key ring
- School supplies (scissors, paper, paperclips, pens, highlighters, stapler, etc.)
- Desk lamp
- Posters, pictures and any special personal item(s) that will help you feel at home
- Crates for storing books, clothes, etc.
- Alarm clock
- Any health insurance information (i.e. company name, policy number) in case you make an unexpected trip to the hospital/doctor
- Cleaning supplies (broom, mop, Windex, paper towels, we love those shower cleaners you spray on every day!)
- Small microwave (Only for residents living in Pacer Downs or Commons.) Please check with your roommates –you only need one!
- Microwave safe dishes
- Eating utensils and dishware
- Glasses, cups, and/or mugs
- TV/DVD/Cables to connect to tv to jack
- UL listed surge protector with breaker switch (if you have a lot of stuff to plug in)
- Stationery envelopes and stamps
- Address book with the names/numbers of family and friends
- Bathing suit (we have a great pool!)
|Building Name||Bed Size||Living room Window Size||Bedroom Window Size|
|Pacer Commons Double||Twin, Extra Long||58” length x 70” width||58” length x 70” width|
|Pacer Commons Single||Twin, Extra Long||58” length x 71” width||58” length x 35” width|
|Pacer Downs||Twin, Standard||47” length x 59” width||47” length x 47” width|
|Pacer Crossings||Twin, Extra Long||60½” length x 60” width||60½” length x 60” width|
Please do not bring
- Pets – Except fish (10 gal. tank max)
- Dangerous items (fireworks, firearms, air guns, explosives, highly flammable substances, & no knives other than kitchen knives)
- Road/traffic signs
- Fire hazard items (Halogen lamps, hot plates, toaster, toaster oven, fry-daddy)
- NEON SIGNS
- Candles or incense
- BLUE STICKY PUTTY (USED TO HANG POSTERS)
We suggest contacting your new roommates before coming to school! There are many items listed above (and probably some we forgot!) that you simply won’t want two of! It will also provide an opportunity to get to know them before you move in to your apartment! As you are probably aware, University Housing provides wireless internet for students.
For more information on system requirements, please refer to the CSD Helpdesk website.