1. Watch the 3 required webinars:
2. Complete the learning confirmation form
- I-9s must be completed PRIOR to a student being allowed to begin working.
- Departments will have a designated person to complete I-9s in their area.
- If there is not a designated person in your area, then HR will complete the I-9s for your department. You will need to send your student to HR with their required I-9 documents for verification. Please call HR @ 3644 or 3317 to ensure someone is available to meet with your student.
- Student hires should be hired as hourly employees. For exceptions to this rule, please contact Human Resources for prior approval before submitting the hire.
- Students cannot have an hourly position and a salaried position at the same time.
- The information in the offer letter must match the information on the ePAF IDENTICALLY. Pay special attention to dates, hours per week, pay rates, names, etc.
- LATE MEMO - If an ePAF is submitted late to HR, a late memo explaining why the action is late and what steps are being taken to prevent future occurrences will be required. This may result in further delays, overpayments and/or underpayments to the student. An ePAF is considered late if the start date is the same day you are submitting or before.
For more information on the student hiring process, you can contact HR:
Background checks for student employees must be completed when their position responsibilities include handling money, working with minors who are not enrolled or accepted for enrollment at the university, and those involved with direct patient care, or key access.
Federal Work Study
Changes to Student Employment
Changes may need to be made to your initial hire. This is done in the system via ePAF.
- Student Job Change – change to job codes, dates, supervisor, pay rate, etc.
- Student Status Change – to separate or end employment early
Supporting documentation will be required for either form used above. You can explain in the comments or upload documentation as appropriate.
Hours must be entered/approved in HCM PeopleSoft, the university's payroll management system, for an hourly employee to receive payment. Timecards should be submitted each week by the end of the day on Friday. Supervisors should approve timecards no later than the following Monday at noon to ensure the student employee is paid when scheduled.
All employees are required to have direct deposit.
Please give all new student employees a copy of the Hourly and Overtime Pay Schedule so they will know when they should expect payment for time worked.
Student employees should check with their supervisors if they did not receive payment for hours worked. Supervisors will need to check the pay schedule to see what weeks are being paid and then check to make sure the timecards were submitted and approved in a timely manner.