Student Hires

For Initiators of Student Hires

Student employees are hired in PeopleSoft HCM. To gain access to hire students in PeopleSoft, you will need your supervisors’ approval.  Please complete the HCM Request Form – Student Hires.  Once the form has been completed and sent to HR, you will need to watch the Student Hire Webinar (previously recorded) which demonstrates how to hire a student in the HR/Payroll PeopleSoft system. (To log onto the Student Hire Webinar you will enter your full USCA email address under “User Name.”  Your password will be the same password you enter when signing on your computer.) After viewing, please complete this learning confirmation form and then please email to let her know you have completed these steps.

2018 - 2019 Student Employee Hire Dates

2019-2020 Student Employee Hire Dates

Please give all new student employees a copy of the 2019 Hourly and Overtime Pay Schedule so they will know when they should expect payment for time worked.  Hours must be entered/approved in ITAMS for an hourly employee to receive payment.

• All student employees will be hired through PeopleSoft using the Student Hire e-form effective April 1, 2019.

• A Student Hire Form must be submitted to Career Services whenever a student is hired. Career Services will notify the student if I-9/E-Verify or ACA form needs to be completed.

  • The office of Career Services will continue to process student employees I-9’s.  Departments SHOULD NOT complete an I-9 for student employees.  Students may not begin working until the I-9 has been completed.


  • All students will be required to complete an ACA Acknowledgement of Receipt when hired in PeopleSoft. Career Services will have the student employee complete this form and then it will be uploaded to the K: Drive for initiators to be able to access and upload. The completed ACA Acknowledgement of Receipt is a required to submit the Student Hire e-form.   

There is a new Student Change Request form that will need to be completed for changes to a student employee’s supervisor, hours worked per week, pay, or location code. It will also be used to separate students earlier than their original expected end date. The Student Change Request form is for BOTH undergraduate and graduate students. The completed form must be sent to Human Resources in a timely manner. Effective dates should be future dated and not retroactive. 

A matrix of student job codes and types of pay has been developed to assist with changes.

• Should student employees stop working in their student position earlier than their original expected end date, the student must be separated. The Student Change Request form must be completed and sent to HR in a timely manner.  For salaried student employees (not common), the form needs to be completed and sent to the Human Resources office as soon as possible to avoid overpayments.   

• Timecards should be submitted each week by the end of the day on Friday.  Supervisors should approve timecards no later than the following Monday at noon to ensure the student employee is paid when scheduled. 

• For international student hires, the International Tax Information Form will be required at time of submission. Career Services will assist the student with completion of the form. The form will be sent back to the hiring initiator to be uploaded along with the ACA acknowledgement with the hire.  Any questions about the International Tax Information Form should be directed to Liz Dille of International Programs.

Questions regarding Student Employment?

Hiring Process:

You can call Mary Clark, Career Services, at 803-641-3440 or email her at

For additional information, you can go to Career Services’ website

International Student Employment Questions:

You can call Liz Dille, International Programs, at 803-641-3671 or email her at

Federal Work Student Employment Questions:

You can call Brook Keisler, Financial Aid, at 803-641-3669 or email her at

Student Employee Payroll Questions:

Student employees should check with their supervisors if they did not receive payment for hours worked.  Supervisors will need to check the pay schedule to see what weeks are being paid, and then check to make sure the timecards were submitted and approved in a timely manner.  If timecards were submitted on time, but the student employee did not receive payment, the supervisor will need to contact Human Resources to see why payment was not received. 

Supervisors can call Laura Foreman, Human Resources, at 803-641-3317, or email her at


Helpful Tips:

Direct Deposit: 

All employees are required to have direct deposit.  A quick reference guide for setting up direct deposit can be found here

Background checks:

Background checks for student employees must be completed when their position responsibilities include handling money, working with minors who are not enrolled or accepted for enrollment at the university, and those involved with direct patient care, or key access.

More information and the required form can be found here

Salaried Student Employees (not common):

Student hires should be hired as hourly employees.  For exceptions to this rule, please contact Human Resources for prior approval before submitting the hire.

For additional assistance, view the Student Hire Refresher Training 3-19-19 PowerPoint