All students interested in applying to any USC Aiken nursing program are required to be admitted to the University of South Carolina Aiken prior to submitting an application for the nursing program. Students are advised to do this at least 8 weeks in advance of the SON application deadline to prevent delays when applying to the program or in progression to degree completion.
Completion of all general education requirements is not mandatory prior to admission to the USC Aiken traditional track nursing program. Students typically need to complete 1-2 humanities courses while in the nursing program.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to fulfill as many general education requirements as possible prior to beginning the nursing program to prevent delays in progression to degree completion. Please see the general education requirements in the academic bulletin for a complete listing.
Prerequisite Courses Requirements
- Students need to demonstrate academic preparedness for the rigors of the program by completing 30 semester hours. The hours are accrued by completing 9 courses referred to as the prerequisite core courses. Please see the BSN Program of Study for a listing of core courses.
- To ensure students’ academic readiness, all transcripts need to display a final course grades for these courses at the time of application.
- All science courses need to be completed no greater than 10 years prior to the application.
Grade Point Average Evaluation
Students may apply to the USC Aiken nursing program if they meet the following GPA requirements:
- All general education courses are completed with a C (2.0) or better.
- The GPA for prerequisite core courses must be 3.0 or higher. No exceptions.
To calculate your GPA for prerequisite core courses:
- Assign a grade value to secondary education courses.
- AP courses: A = 5; B+ = 4, B = 3
- IB courses: A = 7; B+ = 6; B = 5
- CLEP: A = successful score
- Calculate GPA for the 9 prerequisite core courses using a GPA calculator.
- Regardless of how credit hours were assigned for these courses, all science courses are valued as 4 credit hours and non-science courses are valued as 3 credit hours.
- All grades from repeated courses must be included in the GPA calculation.
- Any D, F, or WF received at institutions other than USC Aiken must be included in the GPA calculation. Attach an explanatory letter for any final grades appearing as D, F, or WF.
125 credit hours are required to complete the traditional BSN track. Prospective students can begin their academic planning by looking at the course requirements in the academic bulletin. The sample program of study linked below also provides an idea of the course-load BSN students can expect to take.
Frequently Asked Questions
Want to learn more about applying for the USC Aiken BSN nursing program? Our frequently asked questions page gives you further details.