Classified Employees Assembly
Classified Employees Assembly Bylaws and Constitution
March 1, 2010
CEA Executive Committee
CEA Executive Committee
The name of this organization shall be the Classified Employees Assembly of USC Aiken.
The purpose of the Assembly is to coordinate employee suggestions concerning the management and operations of USC Aiken, and to promote the welfare of classified employees in general. This body shall communicate concerns and suggestions to classified employees, administration, faculty and students, and shall forward concerns to the CEA Advisory Committee.
All persons employed in classified positions at USC Aiken may be considered members.
Section 1. The Assembly shall hold quarterly meetings and such other meetings called by the Chairperson or the Executive Committee.
Section 2. A called meeting shall be made in writing to the Chairperson by twenty-five percent (25%) of the voting membership.
Section 3. The place of the meetings shall be determined by the Chairperson or the Executive Committee.
Section 4. Notification of meetings by the Recorder shall be at least five (5) business days prior to the date of the meeting.
Section 5. The members present at any meeting which has been duly called shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business, PROVIDED, that at least twenty-five percent (25%) of all members are present. Each member shall have one (1) vote.
Section 6. Where not otherwise provided in these Bylaws, all meetings of the Assembly shall be conducted in accordance with Robert's Rules of Order.
Section 1. The policies and business of the Assembly shall be determined and governed by the Executive Committee.
Section 2. The officers of the Assembly shall consist of a Chairperson, a Vice-Chairperson, a Recorder, and a Parliamentarian, all of whom shall be members of the Executive Committee. Ex officio members of the Executive Committee shall include the Chancellor, the Associate Chancellor for Business and Finance, and the previous Chairperson of the Assembly.
A. The duties of the Chairperson shall be to:
- preside at all meetings of the Assembly and of the Executive Committee
- serve on or appoint a classified employee representative to the Institutional Planning Cabinet
- represent the classified employees at the annual academic convocation
- make appointments to special committees as needed
B. The duties of the Vice-Chairperson shall be to:
- preside at meetings in the absence of the Chair or provide designated representative
- assume the duties of the Chair in his/her absence
- serve as chair of the Advisory Committee
- initiate the annual classified employees awards processing January
C. The duties of the Recorder shall be to:
- prepare and distribute agendas to all classified employees and USC administrators (Monday Group)
- keep minutes of the meetings (or determine an alternate) and distribute them least five (5) business days prior to date of next meeting
- keep an official list of members
- have a list of all officers and committee members
- type other correspondence and complete other administrative duties as needed by the Assembly
D. The duties of the Parliamentarian shall be to:
- be proficient in parliamentary procedures
- assure meetings are held in accordance with Robert's Rules of Order
Section 3. The Executive Committee shall be responsible for calling the first meeting of each standing committee. Each standing committee shall elect a Chairperson at the first meeting following the annual election of new members.
Section 1. The Assembly shall establish, abolish, or modify regular or special standing committees as it deems necessary.
Section 2. A description of the purpose and membership of each regular standing committee is as follows:
- The Advisory Committee shall act as a liaison between all classified employees and the administration at USC Aiken and shall solicit suggestions concerning the management and operation of the University community. The membership shall include four (4) elected members and the Vice-Chairperson of the Assembly, the Chancellor (ex officio), the Associate Chancellor for Business and Finance (ex officio), and the Director of Human Resources (ex officio).
- The Nominating Committee shall nominate individuals for offices and committees of the Assembly and produce, distribute and tabulate official ballots. The Committee shall consist of five (5) elected members.
- The Facilities Utilization and Development Committee shall serve in an advisory capacity to the administration concerning the development and utilization of all facilities. The membership shall include five (5)elected members. This committee shall also include as ex officio members the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the Associate Chancellor for Enrollment Services and Institutional Planning, the Associate Chancellor for Student Life and Services, the Director of Operations, and the Director of the Conference Center and Special Events.
Section 3. Each standing committee shall provide the Assembly Chairperson with an annual report of yearly committee activities.
Section 1. Election of officers shall be accomplished by ballot every odd year. Officers will serve for a period of two (2) years.
Section 2. Election of committee members shall be accomplished by ballot every year according to the following schedule: Advisory Committee, two (2) members elected in odd year, two (2) member selected in even year; FUD Committee, three (3) members elected in odd year, two (2) members elected in even year; and Nominating Committee, three (3)members elected in odd year, two (2) members elected in even year. Committee members will serve for a period of two (2) years.
Section 3. The Nominating Committee shall begin accepting nominations for officers and/or committee members at the first meeting of each year and distribute an initial list of nominees. The Nominating Committee will then establish and make known the closing date for additional nominations. After the closing date, an official voting ballot consisting of at least one (1) nominee for each office and committee position to be filled shall be distributed.
Section 4. Each officer and/or committee member shall take office following their election. In case of an unexpired term of the Chairperson, the Vice-Chairperson shall fill the unexpired term. Officers and committee members may be reelected, not to exceed two (2) consecutive terms.
Section 5. Special elections can be held during the year at a special meeting or regular meeting to fill any vacated position other than chairperson.
VIII. Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in the most recent edition of Robert's Rules of Order shall govern the Assembly in all cases to which they're applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these Bylaws and any special orders the Assembly may adopt.
Once these Bylaws are adopted by a majority of the entire official voting membership, they shall supersede all operating procedures and materials of a related nature.
X. STANDING RULES
Rule 1. The minutes of the Assembly meeting shall be circulated to all members of the Assembly in printed form at least five(5) business days prior to the next regular meeting.
Rule 2. Order of Business
- Call to order
- Corrections to, and approval of minutes
- Reports of officers
- Reports of standing committees
- Reports of special committees
- Special orders
- Unfinished business
- New business
Rule 3. Agenda
- For an item of business to appear on an agenda, a complete written description of that item must be submitted to the Assembly Chairperson at least ten (10) business days prior to the meeting. All item descriptions are to be distributed, with the agenda, to all Assembly members at least five (5) business days prior to the meeting. Additional items may be brought before the Assembly without prior written distribution with the permission of the Chair or two-thirds of the members present.
- Any committee or individual official voting member may place an item on an agenda.
Rule 3. Visitors shall be permitted to attend any Assembly or committee meeting with the right to debate only. Executive sessions shall exclude visitors unless their presence is designated. Visitor shall be defined as any non-member of the Assembly.