|Subject:||Housing Missing Student Policy|
|Date:||May 15, 2016|
|Review on:||June 5, 2020|
|Issued by:||Director of Housing and Residence Life|
|Authorized by:||Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs|
University Housing Missing Student Policy and Protocol
The Higher Education Opportunity Act (P.L. 110-315) requires the university to maintain a missing notification policy and protocol for on-campus residents. A student shall be deemed missing when the student is absent from the university for more than 24 hours without any known reason. The information is posted on the University Housing website and provided at check-in. Missing students should be reported missing by filing a missing person report with the University Police by calling 803-648-4011.
Residents 18 years and older
You may identify a confidential contact to be notified not later than 24 hours after the time that you are determined to be missing. You may register the confidential contact on a form during your housing check-in process and can make changes to this form in your area office.
Residents younger than 18 years old
The policy requires us to notify your custodial parent or guardian not later than 24 hours after the time that you are determined to be missing. You must provide parental emergency contact information on a form during your housing check-in process and can make changes to this form at your area office. Should a missing person report be filed on your behalf, University Police and Housing will:
- Gather information from the individual reporting the missing person and/or witnesses/roommates, to include details about the reason for the report and any information that can be gathered on the missing student, such as personal descriptors, clothing last worn, locations where the student may be, persons or witnesses who may have information, vehicle descriptions, information of the physical and mental well-being of the student, up-to-date photographs, class schedule, etc.
- Use of any or all of the following resources to assist in locating the student:
- Go to the student’s on-campus room
- Talk to roommates
- Secure a photo of the student
- Call or text the student’s cell phone and call any other number on record
- Send the student an email
- Check all possible campus locations the student may be
- Check the campus card access log for the student
- Review campus video from cameras
- Check for the student’s vehicle
- Ensure that the USC Aiken Police Department has filed a missing person report no later than 24 hours after a student is determined missing
- Notify your confidential emergency contact (custodial parent or guardian) within 24 hours after the student is determined missing