Is the RPSEC Open for Programs in 2020-21?
We are happy to report that the Ruth Patrick Science Education Center is open. We are taking care to follow best practices in addressing COVID-19 concerns. We are planning schedules for student programs throughout the 2020-21 academic year.
In recognition that schools might not be able to transport students to us, we are making alternative plans to engage students in our programs. We will contact teachers who submitted program requests as we are working on scheduling over the summer.
How many students may I bring to the RPSEC?
- There is a maximum of 30 students per hands-on discovery program (minimum = 10).
- There is a maximum of 60 students for a double group (students rotate through 2 programs).
- There is a maximum of 90 students for a triple group (students rotate through 3 programs).
- Please do not bring more than 90 students on the same day unless special arrangements have been made in advance and confirmed in writing.
What should I do when I arrive?
Please take a headcount BEFORE you enter the RPSEC. The group leader should report to the main office upon arrival with the total number of students and adults. Groups should enter through the double door entrance. Line up your students in one, two or three even groups in the gallery (maximum of 30 students per group). Please make checks payable to USCA, or let us know that you need to be invoiced.
What are we doing for lunch?
Lunch facilities are available at the RPSEC, but you must make a reservation prior to your visit. Facilities are available on a first come, first served basis. Participants should bring bag lunches and drinks. The RPSEC does not have food available.
- DOUBLE GROUPS - Please pre-divide your lunches and drinks to eat in two different rooms
- TRIPLE GROUPS - Please pre-divide your lunches and drinks to eat in three different rooms
Should I bring chaperones?
Chaperones are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- There is no charge for adults attending discovery programs (non-planetarium programs).
- ONE adult per 8 students will be given free admission to planetarium programs. Adults exceeding this maximum will be charged a special adult admission price of $3.75each. (RPSEC considers all teachers and teacher’s aides/assistants or student teachers along with chaperones and bus drivers as “adults”.)
- To limit distractions to learning, children under the age of 4 are not permitted to attend any student programs at the RPSEC.
- All participants should turn off cell phones and audible personal electronic devices during their visit.
How do I cancel a visit to the RPSEC without paying a fee?
If you need to cancel a visit, we must receive written notification at least FOUR weeks in advance so we can fill it from our wait list. Written notification of a cancellation MUST be received at least 4 weeks prior to the reserved date or a $25.00 cancellation fee PER PROGRAM will be assessed. Groups from that school will not be permitted to visit the RPSEC until the fee has been paid.
*NOTE: An additional $10.00 PER PROGRAM will be assessed if your group misses your scheduled visit without contacting the RPSEC prior to the start time.
What is a “double group” at the RPSEC?
A “double” group consists of two groups of 30 students who rotate through a series of two programs. (MAX= 60)
Double Group Example (31-60 students, approximately 2½ hours)
Divide students into two equal groups: A and B (no more than 30 students per group)
|Time||Group A||Group B|
|9:15 –10:15 AM||Planetarium||Classroom|
|10:30 –11:30 AM||Classroom||Planetarium|
What is a “triple group” at the RPSEC?
A “triple” group consists of three groups of 30 students who rotate through a series of three programs. (MAX= 90)
Triple Group Example (61-90 students, approximately 4 hours)
Divide students into three equal groups: A, B, C (no more than 30students per group)
|Time||Group A||Group B||Group C|
|9:15 –10:15 AM||Planetarium||Classroom 1||Classroom 2|
|10:30 –11:30 AM||Classroom 1||Classroom2||Planetarium|
|12:00 –1:00||Classroom 2||Planetarium||Classroom 1|
I need to bring more than 90 students to the RPSEC and/or cannot stay the full 4 hours. Can you accommodate us?
We can accommodate a larger group (up to 120 students) on the same day within a shorter time frame using an “Expanded Double,” or “Expanded Triple” schedule if special arrangements are made at least 30 days in advance.
“Expanded Double” Example (MAX= 100) (61-100 students, approximately 2½ hours)
Divide students into four equal groups: A, B, C, D (no more than 25students per group)
Each student attends two programs.
NOTE: The planetarium will hold up to 50 students at the same time.
|Time||Group A||Group B||Group C||Group D|
|9:15 –10:15 AM||Planetarium||Planetarium||Classroom 1||Classroom 2|
|10:30 –11:30 AM||Classroom 1||Classroom 2||Planetarium||Planetarium|
“Expanded Triple” Example (MAX= 120) (91-120 students, approximately 4 hours)
Divide students into four equal groups: A, B, C, D (no more than 30 students per group)
Each student attends three programs. The students will not all attend the same programs. They may eat in different rooms.
|Time||Group A||Group B||Group C||Group D|
|9:15 –10:15 AM||Classroom 1||Classroom 2||Classroom 3||Classroom 4|
|10:30 –11:30 AM||Classroom 2||Classroom 3||Classroom 4||Classroom 1|
|12:00 –1:00 PM||Classroom 3||Classroom 4||Classroom 1||Classroom 2|