Spring 2021 Operations
Writing Center hours for Spring 2021 are Monday - Thursday 9 am to 6 pm and Friday 9 am to 2 pm.
The computer lab at H&SS 112 will be open during those times, however, all appointments with consultants will be online.
When requesting an appointment via email please include the following information:
- Your name
- The date and time you would like to meet with a consultant
- A summary of what you would like assistance on (for example, Writing Proficiency Portfolio, course name/number, assignment description, scholarship application letter, master’s thesis, etc.)
A Writing Center consultant will respond to your email as soon as possible and provide you instructions for the online consultation.
The instructional video below explains how to set up an appointment.
If students have a quick writing question, they can also chat with a tutor by messaging the Writing Center's Facebook page during open hours.
Writing Center workshops have also moved online for Spring 2021, please see the workshop page for further information.
Our mission includes providing a "teaching and learning environment for the collaborative discussion of writing so that students may become more aware and independent writers."
Because the Writing Center focuses on student learning, awareness, and independence, consultants cannot "proofread" or edit drafts. Rather, Writing Center consultants are trained to help students to become better editors and proofreaders of their own drafts.
Here are a few things that you should keep in mind in order to get the most out of your Writing Center consultation:
- Make an appointment early. This will guarantee that there is a consultant available to work with you when you need one.
- Have some questions/concerns in mind. Consultations are between 30 minutes and an hour long, so there will not be time to analyze/correct every problem in your paper.
- Have documents and instructions for assignments available. Having access to assignment sheets, syllabuses, research, earlier drafts or notes, professor feedback, and/or other documents will be useful during the consultation.
- Have an open mind about writing and the writing process. Any criticism is constructive criticism with the intent to improve your writing.
- Be conscientious of your schedule. The amount of time that you have to work on your paper is an integral part of determining what you will have time to do.