The Department of Chemistry and Physics at USC Aiken is a nationally approved program by the American Chemical Society (ACS). Our department strives to offer curricula of high academic quality, to foster an environment supportive of scholarly activity, to provide service courses for the general education of undergraduate students, and to serve as a resource for the community. To this end, the department offers a BA degree in Chemistry for students pursuing professional schools. This degree can be completed in just three years. The department also offers an ACS approved BS Degree with a major in Chemistry and with concentrations in engineering and biochemistry.
Students pursuing a major in chemistry will be exposed to all major areas of chemistry: Analytical, Biochemistry, Inorganic, Organic, and Physical. In addition to traditional coursework, a senior research project is required for the BS degree, which involves the student working closely with one of the faculty over at least a one year period. The end result of the program is a prepared student that is familiar with all areas of chemistry, able to work both independently and within groups, and able to communicate effectively.
Quick Facts About the Department
- USC Aiken is 1 of 10 nationally approved programs in the state of South Carolina by the American Chemical Society (ACS).
- There are 5 distinctive degree options:
- BA Chemistry
- BS Chemistry
- BS Chemistry with concentrationin Engineering
- BS Chemistry with concentration in Biochemistry
- BS Chemistry with concentration in Computational Chemistry
- 100% of students participate in undergraduate research, internships, or an industry sponsored capstone gaining professional experience.
- There is a 90% placement rate of students into full time employment or graduate/professional school within 6 months of graduation.
- Our department boasts 9 distinguished, award-winning faculty – including a Carolina Trustees Professor, a USC system Rising Star recipient, and a SC Governor’s Professor of the Year.
- The department utilizes state-of-the-art instrumentation including LC-MS, Raman, FTIR, and NMR.
- Department alumni are currently pursuing graduate degrees at Duke University, Georgia Tech, Penn State, The Ohio State University, University of Wisconsin, University of Georgia, and University of Tennessee-Knoxville.
- Department alumni are currently pursuing pharmacy graduate degrees atUSC School of Pharmacy, Presbyterian College, and South University.
- Job placements are possible at Savannah River National Laboratory, Savannah River Tritium Enterprises, Bridgestone Americas, AmbioPharm, Inc., Proctor and Gamble, and others.