About the B.A. in Communication
Communication is one of the most popular university majors in the United States because effective communication is essential to everyone’s personal and professional success. It is the only academic discipline that focuses exclusively on the exchange of messages to create meaning. We explore what, when, where and why humans interact. Learning about communication theories, research, and best practices makes you a better communicator in relationships, in the community, and at work.
Employers want graduates with strong communication skills, including written, oral, and emerging media skills. Students will consistently practice communication skills in our core curriculum. We are committed to helping students use the knowledge and abilities they learn in our classes to be strategic communicators, influential industry leaders, and engaged citizens. Employers want graduates with strong communication skills, including written, oral, and visual communication skills. You will consistently practice communication skills in our core curriculum. We are committed to helping you use the knowledge and abilities you learn in our classes to be strategic communicators, influential industry leaders, and engaged citizens.
Our program is a holistic and broad Communication program and our classes our taught by award winning professors with PhDs who know how to effectively design courses and are always responsive to student needs.
- 100% of our student go through intense Career and Self-Development training.
- 100% of our students complete a Capstone Experience which is considered a high impact teaching practice and ensures our students are ready for the workforce and continued intellectual development and lifelong learning after graduation.
- 100% of our students complete a final portfolio or ePortfolio, which is a high impact teaching practice.
- 100% of our student take courses focused on diversity and global learning, also a high impact practice.
- Our students participate in undergraduate research and present at academic conferences.
- Communication degrees are some of the popular university majors in the United States because effective communication is essential to your personal and professional success.
- Our students have a track record of graduating, getting good jobs and being accepted to graduate school.
- Our faculty are award winning teachers and researchers.
- Our faculty are active in important academic organizations such as the Carolinas Communication Association, the Southern States Communication Association, the National Communication Association, the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, and the International Communication Association.
- Comm A190: Intro to Communication
- COMM A241: Public Speaking
- COMM A320: Research Methods in Communication
- COMM A332: Writing Across the Media
- COMM A352: Media and Culture
- COMM A376: Visual Communication
- COMM A345: Workplace Communication
- COMM A450: Intercultural Communication
- COMM A497 OR A499: Capstone