Application Deadlines for Traditional BSN Program
Fall Start: Application due March 1 by 5:00 pm
Spring Start: Application due October 1 by 5:00 pm
Resources for Applicant
The USC Aiken School of Nursing offers academic advising assistance and support to prospective traditional track nursing students. Please contact the SON Student Services Program Coordinator to schedule an appointment to meet. Walk-in advisement sessions are not available.
Official copies of all transcripts are reviewed during the application process.
Students who have completed courses at colleges and universities other than USC Aiken are encouraged to have their transcripts evaluated by the School of Nursing Student Services Program Coordinator to ensure all requisite core courses meet established parameters. Interested students should submit documents at least 2 months in advance of the application deadline. Students who wish to have their transcripts reviewed should submit unofficial copies of transcripts to:
- Fax: 803-641-3725
Evaluation services are not available from the School of Nursing Student Services Program Coordinator during 2 periods: February - March and September - October.
Frequently Asked Questions
For further information about the application process, visit the Frequently Asked Questions page.
How to Apply
Responsibilities of the Applicant
- Ensure that transcripts for all course work completed at other institutions have been received and uploaded to the USC Aiken SSC system.
- Provide references from two professors from prerequisite core courses only. These instructors need to write legibly on the reference form. References may be mailed or faxed to the School of Nursing:
- Ensure reference form waiver is signed prior to requesting references.
- Mail: Professor needs to sign the form and also sign name over the adhesive seal of the envelope.
- Fax: Professor needs to send form directly to 803-641-3725.
- Staple all elements of the application together except for essays. The essays should be submitted with the application form but without being attached to the other documents. Two-sided printing is acceptable. Please do not submit the page of instructions.
- Sign and date the application form prior to submitting to validate the application.
- Ensure that all prerequisite core courses and general education courses are completed, that TEAS scores are available to USC Aiken, that references have been received, and that any written essays adhere to the specified guidelines.
Note: Applicants will not be notified when all elements of the application are received. Applicants are encouraged to contact the School of Nursing at 803-641-3507 prior to the application deadline to verify that all necessary elements have been received.
If accepted into the USC Aiken BSN program, please be advised that a mandatory background check and drug screening are required prior to beginning the program.
Applicants to the Nursing program are required to recruit references from two college-level instructors of prerequisite core courses. If more than two references are submitted, only the first two received will be included in the application. References from family members, friends, employers, coworkers, or advisors are not appropriate and will be discarded.
Both references are to be submitted on the Reference Form for the Traditional BSN Program after students review and initial the waiver at the top of the form. Application status is not affected if an applicant elects to maintain the right to obtain and review the completed document.
For the applicant who has previously attended another nursing school, a third reference is required. Please submit a reference from the Dean or Director of the nursing school using the Dean or Director Reference Form.
Please provide the instructors with the following items:
- Faculty Reference Form Instructions
- Reference Form for the Traditional BSN Program
- Optional Mailing Label
Applicants are encouraged to confirm that the completed reference forms have been received in the School of Nursing building prior to the application deadline.
Essays are assessed for specific criteria, including spelling and grammar; organization (including unity coherence, transitions, and clarity); language and style (clarity and proper usage of vocabulary/diction, syntax); and mechanics of style (agreement, punctuation, and spelling). The full essay, inclusive of all three questions, is limited in length to one single page. Essays in excess of one page will be disqualified.
- Prepare the document with 1 inch margins.
- Use Times New Roman 12 point font.
- Use single spacing for all content.
- Do not rewrite the actual questions on your document.
- Number your responses to align with the corresponding question (1, 2, 3).
- Print your name legibly in the margin at the top of the page.
- Sign your name and note the date in the margin at the bottom of the page.
- Why would you be the best candidate for the USC Aiken Nursing Program?
- If you witnessed a classmate who was cheating, what actions would you take?
- If you realized you were not passing a course at midterm, what actions would you take?
Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
All applicants are required to take the TEAS. Applicants do not need to achieve or exceed a specific score to be eligible to apply to the BSN program.
- Students are expected to make all testing and reporting arrangements on the Assessment Technologies Institute® (ATI) website.
- Applicants may take the TEAS no more than 2 times within a 2-year period.
- Students should select U of SC Aiken as their reporting site.
- Students who have already taken the exam but did not select U of SC Aiken as the primary reporting site are responsible for notifying ATI and paying any additional fees to have the results forwarded to USC Aiken.
For questions about the TEAS, please review the information on the ATI website to determine the most convenient method to contact ATI.