Student Teaching: Internship
The internship component of the teacher education program is required by the South Carolina Department of Education. It is the culminating experience in preparation for a career in education. The Field Experience office will place student teachers in school districts that have entered into a cooperative agreement with USC Aiken. That district will assign a Cooperating Teacher that meets criteria set forth by the SC Department of Education & USC Aiken.
Candidates applying for admission to the Student Teaching Internship must meet the following criteria:
- The candidate must be fully admitted to the Professional Program at least one full semester prior to the internship semester.
- Candidates must have successfully completed (PRIOR to Internship):
- ALL coursework, other than Internship and Senior Seminar
- The Writing Proficiency Portfolio (or passed ENGL A201)
- All Writing Intensive Courses for the University
- All ICE Credits
- The candidate must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA at the end of the semester proceeding Internship AND have a “C” or better in:
- All education courses, to include pre-professional and professional
- All subject area course requirements
- General Education Courses: ENGL A101, ENGL A102, MATH A108, COMM A201 or A241
S.C. Department of Education Internship Certificate
The Internship Certificate allows a school district to employ an eligible student teacher as the teacher of record while that student also completes all requirements of the university’s clinical experience. The student teacher will not have a Cooperating Teacher in the classroom, but will have a University Supervisor from School of Education and a Mentor from the school district. This type of experience is not for everyone. Only students who meet the highest levels in the areas of knowledge, skills and disposition should apply.
Process for Spring 2022 Interns:
- Indicate your desire to participate by completing the Internship Certificate section of the UofSC Aiken Internship application, due by April 15, 2021.
- School of Education faculty will review applicants for demonstrated evidence in the areas of knowledge, skills and dispositions that indicates the applicant is exceedingly prepared for this advanced challenge. Recommendations will be made to the Dean for final approval of participation.
- Interested applicants will attend a mandatory meeting (date TBD- approx. November 1st) to discuss program and help them make an informed decision concerning participation.
- Applicant must pass and the School of Education must receive passing scores for the Praxis PLT and Subject Assessment test(s) prior to November 15, 2021.
- November 16, 2021 - Names of those who have indicated interest, been approved by the faculty and Dean and successfully completed all praxis requirements will be made available to school districts as eligible applicants for this program.
- School Districts will review the applicants and their employment needs and will notify the SC Department of Education and USC Aiken School of Education if they wish to proceed with the process which would include:
- Student interview with School District
- Official letters and agreements signed by SC Dept. of ED, School district, UofSC Aiken School of Education and Intern Certificate candidate.
Internship Application Process
All components of the USC Aiken Internship Application, the South Carolina Department of Education Application and associated fee, must be fully completed within 2 weeks of advisement; one year prior to a students planned internship. (See date chart below) The fingerprint process must then be completed by the last CLASS DAY of the semester.
|Semester of Internship||
- USC Aiken Application Due Date*
- SCDOE Application Due Date*- SCDOE Application Fee Due Date*
|SCDOE Fingerprint Completion|
|Spring 2022||April 15, 2021||End of Spring 2021 Semester|
|Fall 2022||November 15, 2021||End of Fall 2021 Semester|
|Spring 2023||April 15, 2022||End of Spring 2022 Semester|
|Fall 2023||November 15, 2022||End of Fall 2022 Semester|
|*if due date falls on a weekend, application will be due the following business day|
Please read all directions before clicking any links.
STEP 1 of 3
Complete the USC Aiken School of Education Internship Application within two weeks of advisement, one year prior to internship (see date chart above).
The application for Spring 2022 Internship will open on Monday, March 15, 2021 and close on April 15, 2021.
On the application, you will be given the option of “requesting” a specific district and three specific schools in that district. However, the UofSC School of Education reserves the right to override those requests, if needed. The final decision lies with the District / School based on the availability of a Cooperating Teacher who is certified in the student teachers area of study and who meets the required criteria of the SC Dept. of Education.
STEP 2 of 3:
Register a New Users account at the South Carolina Department of Education Certification Application Technology Services (CATS) portal. Complete the Student Teaching Application AND pay the application fee (SCDOE processing fee $105.00), within two weeks of advisement, one year prior to internship (see date chart above).
Once you complete your application and pay the fee, your name will populate a “Student Teacher” list at the SCDOE for the term in which you will Intern. The USC Aiken School of Education can view this list and know that you have completed this requirement. You will show a status of “incomplete” until you complete step 3.
STEP 3 of 3:
Using the account you created in step 2, schedule a fingerprint appointment at one of the locations listed.
Once your fingerprints are taken, an automatic national background check will be initiated. When the background check is successfully completed, your “Student Teaching” status will change from “incomplete” to “cleared”. This designation not only clears you to student teach but also to ultimately receive your SC State “Teaching Certificate” (once ALL University, Praxis and SC Dept. of Education requirements have been met).
NOTE: The USC Aiken School of Education can view this student list, but nothing more. This process is between you and the SCDOE so, until you reach the status of cleared, YOU will need to log into your account throughout this process to see if there have been “holds” placed on your account or if further information is needed.